grep -irnw -e "$REGEX" "$DIRECTORY"
- -i for case insensitive matching
- -r searches through all files in the directory and all subdirectories
- -n prints the line number within the matching file
- -w matches whole words (starting or ending with punctuation/lines)
For example, searching for ‘red’ on the lines ‘redwings’ or ‘subreddit’ will not match, but it will match the line ‘the color (red)’. This can be removed to match anywhere within the line.
- -e defines the basic regular expression matching pattern.